Wednesday, March 16, 2016

  

The Children's Home is a complete departure for me - a "genre defying," creepy, fractured fairy tale. Charles Lambert usually does poems. When I started reading it I immediately thought of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, so I put that one on hold. With this challenge, I wanted to see what NoveList had to say about The Children's Home as well as the Miss Peregrine series.

Under The Children's Home I checked:

Creepy

England

Fast Paced

Recluses

Secrets

Only one book came up: Awakening by S.J. Dalton.

However, general read-alikes produced this list:

Magic Street by Orson Scott Card

Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell

Midsummer Night by Freda Warrington

Apocalypse by Nancy Springer

The Trial by Franz Kafka

The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

Beatlebone by Kevin Barry

Gravelight by Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Crory Barker

I then tried Miss Peregrine's Home for Pecuilar Children and got nine read-alike titles.

The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Circa Now by Amber McRee Turner

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Shrunken Head by Lauren Oliver

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld

Asylum by Madeleine Roux

In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters

I don't like fantasy a la Game of Thrones or Once Upon a Time. Maybe it's the dragons and unicorns?!? Although there are dragons and unicorns in Harry Potter, but only in an ancillary capacity. Next time I am stuck for something to read or listen to, I will call up these lists. Sadly, though, I don't think I could hear Elton John singing Tiny Dancer in my head while reading Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.





No comments:

Post a Comment