Monday, January 26, 2009

NetLibrary and OverDrive - Thing 22

In looking over the list of things I still need to do I thought Thing 22 would be so easy since I'm already familiar with both NetLibrary and OverDrive.

It's been a few months since I've downloaded anything from OverDrive and in that time period I got a new computer. It runs Vista. I won't say anything about that other than I have some issues with Vista.

I found an audiobook I wanted on OverDrive (usually what I want isn't available, but I settled on something tonight). My OverDrive software is on the old computer so I had to download it to this one. No problems so far ... then I try to listen to the audiobook and get this message: Unable to acquire license to play the selected title. The selected title requires a newer version of the Windows Media Player security upgrade (2.5.0.1) than is currently installed (2.5.0.0) Please upgrade the security of yours Windows Media Player by selecting "Tools > Windows Media Player Security Upgrade ..." from within OverDrive Media Console. I do that and get nothing! It won't do anything!

I LOVE VISTA ... NOT!!!

To make a long story short I have the latest version of Windows Media Player so there's nothing I can download. I search and search for the security update and can't find it. Until I can figure out what to do about this I'll have to fire up the old computer to listen to OverDrive books.

This might be something we could encounter from patrons one day. I never had a problem with OverDrive when using Windows, and I am a BIG fan of OverDrive. I was so glad to see tht some have become iPod compatible.

13 comments:

  1. Did you find a solution to this problem? I am also in the same boat! Searching reveals nothing. Overdrive does nothing but continue to report that I need the update and then does nothing to get it.

    Vista 64, all up to date. Rather frustrating. Guess that is why I run Linux for everything accept these DRM induced items ... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat here and just sent a request to the library for help

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem, and wrote to Overdrive. They sent me an e-mail telling how to fully un-install Overdrive and the link to the new install. With the new install I did not have to download the security upgrade as it now already has it. Thanx to the wonders of vista (woohoo) It installs all over the place and unless you uninstall it all, it wont work. Here is their e-mail and I hope it works for you.

    1. Uninstall OverDrive Media Console
    - Navigate to your "Programs and Features"
    - Remove all instances of OverDrive Media Console

    2. View hidden files:
    - Open the "Folder Options" control panel.
    - Click the "View" tab.
    - Under 'Hidden files and folders' heading, make the following changes:

    * Select 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'
    * Un-check 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'

    - Click the button 'Apply to All Folders'. This will ensure the changes
    affect all folders on the system.

    3. Open "Computer". In the address bar at the top, type the following:
    C:\Program Files\ and press enter.
    Delete the "OverDrive Media Console" folder.
    C:\Users\(username)\Application Data\OverDrive and press enter
    Delete the "Media Console" folder.
    C:\Users\(username)\Documents\ and press enter
    Delete the "My Media" folder.

    4. Install OMC again.
    (You can download the installer from
    http://www.overdrive.com/files/ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is the link to manually install the security patch 2.5.0.1. I am running Vista64 and the update wouldn't work from the tools menu of Overdrive. I sent them an email and they sent me this link.

    http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp

    ReplyDelete
  5. The link works just make sure you copy and paste it and not just click on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second link works, but not in Firefox. You have to use Internet Explorer. Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for all of this - Dylan's link works just fine on my new Vista64 computer - it was getting very aggravating ! Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you SO much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used Dylan's link too and it worked! Extremely helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank-you very much! Your Blog and Dylan's link enabled me to correct the problem I was having with Windows 7 RC 64-bit and the wrong version of DRM for an Overdrive download of a library book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can get security upgrade here: http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/indivsite/en/indivit.asp

    This was suggested by my library when I had to uninstall and reinstall overdrive media console for my Windows 7.

    Sigh. Still can't download audiobooks though...and I wondered if it was becz I am 64 bit. Don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops. I see that the link I gave you for security upgrade (which my library suggested) is the same one that Dylan offered.

    I can only download a few KB's which is the book picture and that's it. No book. Sounds like from the above people who also have 64 bit that my problem isn't having Windows 7 64 bit though.Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. I followed the advice of Family Campos above and it worked perfectly. Must use IExplorer not Firefox.
    Then I cut and pasted the link provided by Dylan and voila!
    Have already downloaded my first audio book!

    ReplyDelete